Live results available here! Reminder: results are not final until certified by race timer post-finish. Good luck!
Join thousands of other runners for gorgeous, scenic views along the river and a dash to the finish line along Alexandria’s iconic streets.
For a large race, this event doesn’t feel crowded or bunched up, so you are sure to have an incredible experience. But, you will have to hurry, space is limited.
The 2017 GW Parkway Classic ATHLETE GUIDE can be found here – you can check it out as a guide to the 2018 races – to see what an amazing event this is and make your plans for race weekend! 2018 guide available early March.
Athletes (5K and 10M) can expect: a technical tee, finisher medal, post race food (tacos!), Port City beer, free photo booth, chip timed results (with split – 10M), free bus transportation to start, and one of the prettiest runs in all of Metro DC. Sugar Shack Kid’s Dash kids receive bib number, medal, and post-run donut.
We are honored to offer all Military personnel an entry discount when registering for a 2018 Pacers Running event. Please email [email protected] for a discount code.
The Parkway Classic was founded by eventual Alexandria Mayor and Congressman Jim Moran and race director, Nancy LaValle, in 1985 with the intent of benefiting local charities and showing off the beauty of the scenic park. Originally, the course was 15 kilometers long but after 17 years it was changed to a 10 miler due to construction associated with the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. The year prior to this change, the course was run in reverse to finish at Mount Vernon but this was not well received due to the hilly last mile. Since then, it has always started at Mount Vernon and headed towards the city line. The accompanying 5k race was added in 1999 and starts by Belle Haven Park.
Pacers Running first became involved in the race in 2003 and two years later assumed management responsibilties. A true community event, it has been made possible over the years by numerous people and agencies including the National Park Service, National Park Police, and the City of Alexandria. And, it couldn’t be done every year without the support of great sponsors and troops of volunteers including families and running groups manning water stops along the course.
The event has grown to attract up to 10,000 runners annually and through its success over the past 3+ decades, it has been able to raise nearly $1,000,000 to benefit Alexandria non-profits.
The Parkway Classic—Alexandria’s hometown race— embodies the spirit of Pacers Running and we have been proud to have been part of its rich history. Every year, we look forward to this must run race– join us for the 32nd annual Parkway Classic!
A substantial portion of proceeds from this event supports the The Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Washington, Dunbar Alexandria-Olympic Branch which has been serving youth in the city of Alexandria for over 75 years. The BGCGW focuses on providing programs centered on character and leadership development, education and career development, health and life skills, as well as sports, fitness, and recreation.
This local brewery offers a fantastic range of craft beers and provides a casual atmosphere for tastings and fun events such as our regular Joggers and Lagers fun runs. Sample their offerings at their post-race beer garden that highlights the finish festival.
These “movers who care” help transfer checked bags from the Start of the race to the Finish so your gear is awaiting you. Call them today for your next Northern Virginia move!
The grounds in front of George Washington’s Mount Vernon are the perfect staging area for our Start Line. Be sure to return to visit the historic mansion and gardens at a later time!
We are grateful for the City of Alexandria’s efforts to coordinate municipal services and enable this great event to happen. The City has been a driving force since the race’s inception and through its work has helped benefit countless local non-profit groups.
Shuttles to the Start Line are provided by Alexandria’s locally managed transit system. You’ll get to the race in comfort on a DASH bus.
The Old Town Boutique District is located in historic Old Town Alexandria, Virginia. Old Town Alexandria is conveniently located a mere 4 miles along the scenic Potomac River from Washington DC and Reagan National Airport. It’s also easily accessed via the metro or water taxi from Washington DC and the new National Harbor Resort.
We have you covered. Head over to our FAQ section to find detailed information on all of our policies so you can be ready for race day.
REFUND OF ENTRY:
To keep costs at a minimum, refunds are not currently offered. An exception is available for transferred or deployed active military personnel.
RACE ENTRY TRANSFER AND DEFERMENT TO ANOTHER PACERS RUNNING EVENT:
Generally, transfers between one Pacers Running race and another or deferments to a future event are not offered with the exception of the Parkway Classic under certain conditions.
Registrants may request deferment of the current year registration to the immediately following year only Pacers Running Parkway Classic through March 31. No Defer requests will be accepted as of April 1.
• Contact [email protected] with a deferment request. A confirmation email of your request will be forwarded as reply. (Defer requests cannot be made in the retail stores.)
• There are no automatic entry data transfers. All deferred registrants will be notified by email when the following year registration opens with instructions and codes for completing a new-year registration form .
• Deferred registrations are non-transferable, non-refundable, and are valid for only the one calendar year following the original paid entry.
RACE ENTRY TRANSFER TO ANOTHER PARTICIPANT:
While not available for other Pacers Running events, transferring is allowed for the Parkway Classic under certain conditions.
Transferring is a paid participant finding a second runner to take over their race spot. For reasons such as liability, safety, accurate scoring, etc., the process requires notification to and partnership with Pacers Running. Transfers without proper process essentially creates a ‘bandit’ which will result in a runner not being timed and both runners potentially being barred from future Pacers Running events. Thank you for being courteous in this process.
• Pacers Running does not assist registrants in finding transfer candidates. Any financial transactions involved in registration transfers are strictly between the immediate parties and are not the responsibility of Pacers Events LLC, Farley Enterprise (Transfer at your own risk!)
• Transfers of paid race spots are accepted up through March 31. No transfer requests will be accepted as of April 1 or after.
• Transfer requests must be submitted via email to [email protected] by the original registrant using the original registration email and copying in the new participant with the following information included in the email: Original registrant’s full name, Email address, Phone number, City and state and New registrant’s full name, email address, and phone number.
• Upon receipt of request, a code will be sent by “reply all” for the new registrant to complete their own new entry. This new registration must occur within 24 hours of receiving the code and will incur a $20.00 transfer fee to be paid online at time of new registration.
ACTIVE DUTY MILITARY PERSONNEL POLICY:
Pacers Running is pleased to honor our Military Personnel of all branches and status. The Parkway Classic offers the following exceptions to Active Duty military personnel:
• Based on Military Orders, a request for entry Defer to the following year can be made at any time as need be.
• Based on Military orders other special considerations in the Parkway Classic registration process can be made at any time to [email protected]